Wednesday, January 21, 2009

SAHD

Oliver -- poor little guy -- has had a fever for the past few days and a cough for a couple weeks prior. I'm hoping he gets better soon, but in the meantime, he's been at home instead of daycare.

Monday was lucky because my client was observing MLK Jr. Day, so I didn't feel too bad about taking off. Tuesday was my 5-hour-day gig, so I was able to take that off without a lot of sweat (and a little gratitude because I was able to watch all the inauguration coverage live). But today, I needed to get some work done for my Maryland client so Eric stayed home with The Monk today.

Here are some excerpts along his eye-opening journey so far (and it's only early afternoon as I write this -- wait until the sundowns start)...
  1. As he hit the snooze bar after I was up with Oliver for 45 minutes around 5:30: "How's his temperature? Is he going to daycare?"
  2. With a tightening voice as I was bundling up to leave: "What am I supposed to do with him all day?"
  3. First call: "This kid is a monkey. He's all over the place."
    Response: "Should I be worried?"
  4. Second call: "Man, you can't get any work done with him. I really thought I'd be able to get some work done."
  5. Third call: "Sorry, that was Oliver playing with my phone."
  6. Fourth call: "Aw, man, I was just about to get in the shower and he woke up. Do you think I can take him outside?"
  7. Fifth call: "Ew, I think I should change him. He smells like he has a nasty poo."
    Response: "Why don't you do that and give him a bath to make him feel better and pass the time?"
    Eric: "I just gave him a bath."

Hahahaha... love it. I know I shouldn't be getting so much pleasure out of it. And, I know, like me, Eric is enjoying his day with Oliver for the most part, but it's so true that being a stay-at-home is WAY harder than anyone could imagine. So cheers to all my SAHM friends! Much props.

No comments: