Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ham

Ah, ham. Such an appropriate title for a blog about the little Jewish boy from Chicago.

No, really, it is.

I mean, Oliver is a ham. He really laps it up when his goofiness gets grins and giggles from the crowd. And just watch when the camera gets pointed in his direction.

In addition, he really seems to like ham (and so does Mommy because it's sooo easy, and with a slice of paper cheese and a grape makes a meal, right?)

But actually, the inspiration for this post was neither of those things. It was Oliver's feet.

They are hams. Seriously thick and seriously rotund hams.

A few weeks ago, we travelled to Fort Wayne to see my mom for the weekend and I thought it would be a good idea to go to the fancy kid's shoe store for a proper measuring since I'd been squeezing him into Robeez and hand-me-down tennies and had no idea what his real shoe size was. Well, it turns out that "squeezing" is not nearly a strong enough word for what I was doing to that poor kid's feet.
He definitely has some hams. Size 6 hams. Size 6 WIDE hams, to be exact. The guy had to recommend Stride Rite's special wide and deep model so his feet wouldn't get too crushed. (I, however, was slightly crushed, because the wides weren't as fashionable or versatile as the non-wides. Function over fashion this time, I guess.)

So Grandma bought him his first pair of real kicks that weekend and he's been wearing them ever since. They go with more outfits than I originally thought and we got them just in the nick of time, as the snow finally melted enough to actually set foot on ground outside.

Here's the Before and After. Foot and shoe. Ham and Rye:

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Your posts always make me smile. I hope all is well with you guys!